Monday, June 8, 2015

Exam Review, An Awesome Quadratic Question, & Problem-Attic

Well, it's finally exam week.
NC has standardized tests for each subject for final exams. My kids (and I!) are just worn out.



I've yet to find a really effective method for final review. We usually play a game a day.
A couple of my favorites include:
We also create 1 study page for each unit, with practice problems for key topics. We typically have about 7-8 school days for review, and we do 2 units per day. The last day before exams, we play life-size Monopoly (I use the basic set up from this blog post). I typically use the released forms of the tests to practice with along the way, as well as lots of questions from problem-attic.

Problem-attic (which, by the way, if you've never heard of it, is completely AWESOME) has lots of released tests from many states, and you can search by test or topic. 

Every once in a while, I find a question I really like. Here's the one I found this year that I LOVE. (From NY Regents Alg2 Exam Jan. 2014) It's short, but it packs in quite a bit of math into one teeny little sentence. 



Using this site, you can create tests, quizzes, worksheets, etc. I typically print a couple of "flashcards" to project using my document camera, and we use them for games or dry-erase board practice. 



You can also use the flashcards function to create task cards using their questions! I use this feature all the time! I really love not having to make or pay for task cards, and you can color code sets by printing them out on colorful cardstock. There are also plenty of questions without answer choices. 

We'll be testing until Wednesday, the last day of school. I've already got my summer to-do list for school started, and I'm sure it's only going to grow over the next few days. 



No comments:

Post a Comment